Keith Smillie - Statisician and JediKeith Smillie ended his long academic career at the University of Alberta, Canada. He was a Professor in the Department of Computing Science until he retired from academic life in 1992. However, he was active for many years after this, particularly in the J programming language, publishing numerous essays introducing the language and showing how to apply it to statistics. He is remembered fondly by his family, friends, and the J community.
Essays and Code from Keith Smillie
- A Lecture on Array Languages.pdf
Programming languages are introduced briefly and a distinction is made between conventional and array languages. The language J is given as a modern exemplar of array languages and is illustrated with a few simple examples. Some comments are given on the teaching of languages and on the history of computing.
- Beginning J.pdf
In this article we shall give a brief introduction to J illustrated by a discussion of the coupon collector's problem which serves as a model for collecting a complete set of prizes included, one prize per package, in products such as breakfast cereal.
- Beginning J [Postscript]
- Code for "Beginning J"
- Some Notes on Introducing J with Statistical Examples [Postscript]Early draft of the following works on using J for statistics
- J Companion for Statistical Calculations.pdf
J is used for the development of algorithms for a variety of statistical calculations including means, medians and quartiles, frequency tabulations, variances and covariances, regression analysis, graphical presentation, analysis of variance, random number generation and simulation, nonparametric tests, and probability distributions. [January 1999]
- J Companion for Statistical Calculations [Postscript]
- Code for "J Companion for Statistical Calculations"
- J Tutorial and Statistical Package.pdf [March 2003]
- Code for "J Tutorial and Statistical Package"
- JSP: A J Statistical Package.pdf [December 1998]
- JSP: A J Statistical Package [Postscript]
- Code for "JSP: A J Statistical Package"
- J4.01 Windows Programming Examples.pdf [outdated]
- J4.01 Windows Programming Example [outdated, Postscript]
- Code for "J4.01 Windows Programming Example"